So, you guys don’t really know much about the progress of my Afghan, mostly because the last time I posted anything about it, I had just bought the yarn and was still in the planning stages, having not actually sewn anything for it well.
Well, since you guys last heard about it, everything’s coming along together nicely. The blanket is first started by crocheting the squares, then sewing them all together after all of the squares have been made, putting them in order in the diagram they provided with the pattern. (Here’s the link to the pattern if you need it again.)
Since I’m only working with three colors and not their four, I had to amend their diagram and also, how many squares I was going to need. Overall, I figured out that I needed ten squares of each color, thirty total. Then I realized that I may not have enough skeins for my project, but I’m not entirely sure yet. Whether I do or not is not exactly a setback, but more annoying. I know that typically, you want to buy all the skeins you need so you get the right dye lot. However, while it may not look right in the end, I’m willing to accept that one black square is darker than the other one.
I plan on stitching the squares together from right to left, doing one of each color in a five square width and a six square length. It’ll be a pretty good sized blanket overall, from what I believe. Nothing that’ll completely devour me when I wrap myself in it, but it’ll certainly keep me warm if I need it to. It’s not too much different from what the pattern called for, save with the modification of colors.
Beyond that, there, thankfully, wasn’t too much more to plan, so I just got straight to work on making the squares. Since I planned it, I hadn’t gotten as much progress done with the squares as I wanted to. Overall, I’ve only made about six squares and I’m currently working on my seventh square.
I apologize for the poor quality. Unfortunately, when I took the picture, the lighting wasn’t behaving with me and black, I’ve learned, is not easy to take pictures with in poor lighting. Even with flash, it still came out oddly. Oh well.
That isn’t the order I plan on stitching the squares. I just merely put them that way to show you the progress I’ve done. My game plan is to stitch four squares of each color at a time, so I won’t get too bored just working with one color the entire time, and then stitching them all together when all of my squares are done. I planned on stitching them together whenever the four square batches were done, but I’m not too sure about that method, mostly because I don’t know how to really sew them together without the aid of a sewing machine. If you guys have any tips, please let me know!
Overall, this project has been slow going and it still might take me a bit before I’m actually done with the squares. But I can’t wait to get this blanket done. Winter’s already hit here and while it’s not cold as it is up north, it’s cold enough to matter.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Guys, and Happy Crafting!